Saturday, February 14, 2009

Library, errands, and baseball cards....

My son and I took a ride today. The weather was chill, but bearable. He's 12 and a bit small for his age (O.K., a lot small for his age. At 53" he's no giant), so he fits right in behind me and gets some decent wind blockage.

We dropped some books off at the Manheim township library and he was grinning broadly when he set them on the returns counter. We then went to the Giant in the Lancaster Center plaza to pick up some groceries, all of which fit in the storage units on my scooter. The under seat storage may not seem like much, but it fit a bag of carrots, a 2 liter of soda, and one jar of tomato sauce (plus all the other junk that was already there). The top case took the rest of the groceries, including a half gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.

We then went home, put away the groceries, and headed down to New Danville to check out a shop that sells baseball cards. My son was able to fit his baseball card binder in the top case with a bit of room to spare. We got to DMB's baseball cards and took his binder in to see if they would look at it. My first impression was that the place is terribly cramped. It seems well organized despite the smallness of it, and rather clean as such places go. My experience with places that cater to collectors is that they usually tend to have a rather sizeable dust collection with dust bunnies dating back to the time of Moses (those are the really valuable ones you know). The gentlemen behind the counter didn't really acknowledge my son at first until he called attention to himself, after which they were rather personable. Unfortunately, they wanted to charge him $60 an hour just to look over his baseball card collection. We politely declined, looked around a bit, and left.

We then went back up 741 and got warm again.

Today marks a special day for my wife and I though. It was on this date, 11 years ago, that we had our first date, as friends. I had recently broken off a rather bad relationship and she was recovering from sinus surgery and really needed to get off the college campus. We went to the Eat-n-Park on Oregon Pike for a late snack. I had a coffee and she had a muffin. It wasn't until a few years later that she admitted that she had been hoping I would have ordered a meal so she could get more to eat since she was famished, but she didn't want to seem impolite and had ordered something small since I was only getting coffee. At least it gives us something to chuckle about. Tonight was a different story. Tonight my wife and I got the salad bar at Hoss's and ate our fill. I suppose it isn't the most romantic place in the world, but we are simple folk with simple tastes.

I'm thankful for my wife. I'm glad to have known her for so long and still tickled pink every time she smiles at me or holds my hand...I hope that feeling never goes away.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Why would they charge $60 an hour just to look over a baseball card binder? What I mean is, what would their looking over the binder accomplish that would possibly merit their collecting a fee for perusing it?

"...we are simple folk with simple tastes."

And that's exactly what I love about you!

- Joe at Scootin' da Valley

Scootin' Fool said...

now now! No gettin' mushy! ;-)

Just kiddin'.

I was a bit annoyed that they wanted to charge a 12 year old $60 an hour just to take a look through his cards. There's another guy up in Ephrata I may take him to as well, but he doesn't have a regular shop. He's more of an internet collector type.